Monday, April 29, 2013

classics: AKIRA


Wayback, around I'm 10 years old... Kuya Allan went back from US and brought a lot of VHS tapes, with some stuff. He has some VHS tapes that are really original released, like Indiana Jones, or Robotech, others I forgot. Another title that surprised me, is AKIRA. Nice cover and I'm curious about it. I watched it that time, as a 10 year old kid, obviously I did not understand a bit but I like the action, and of course that "red bike". 

Around 20 years later, I watched it again and this time, instantly! I can say this is indeed a classic! 

Story? Ok, hmmmmmmm I already placed some words of it but I deleted it. Maybe it's better you gotta watch it by yourself. The reason by it is I can say simple as it is but what it makes me difficult to tell is the background of the story, especially as the plot goes... It is a complex story as you move along.

Simple as that.


The only thing bothered me, but not really bothered me a lot, it's a minor flaw which is forgiven indeed.. See at those statements I made about the plot? That's it. Although you can forgive it especially it's a sci-fi anime masterpiece, a lot questions arises as you coming near the end of the film. Well, although it may explain in a some way, but one question I want to know, how the heck Tetsuo got his power awakened? I tried to search it in the film, but no clear answer. Maybe in the manga perhaps which it came from but nah.. I won't have time and money to really find that answer or answers for the other questions I have.

But forget about it. 

What struck me in this film, first is the music. Surprisingly I don't know why the music soundtrack perfectly fit in this film, add to the fact that they've done the music first before looking at the flick! That's what you call sheer talent. If you're the music producer and you don't know what the film shows, and you only have this manga as a source, I don't know how they pulled it off. It's just insane and perfect for this film. Definitely, a great fit for the film. I love the theme song from the start and the end credits. I should find that track..

Another factor I love in this film, voice talent. Can you believe, that they recorded the voice talent first before making the animation? For me, it's easier or logical, draw first then put the voices, but in this one.. It's a reverse! It's more difficult, and yes, I don't know why they think of that. But I love the voice talents placed in this film, from each character, from Colonel, the doctor, then the old kids, supporting characters, then of course, Tetsuo and Kaneda. 

The story, I love the plot of how that same author compressed it into a 2 and a half hour flick, although of course, there were holes.. But when I watched it, I did not mind that much of the holes, the plot was made perfectly for him. I had that experience of getting into the story especially as you coming in the end parts, wow.. Action packed yet with a touch of zen experience. That is an action flick, a great sci-fi sequences which few films until today can really match. I mean, a great experiences. 

Animation design is really something legendary in this film... Although of course, except for character design because they drawn it as humane as it should be, but look around of it. Wow, I don't know which anime until now I can think of can match that very detailed design. The scale of the city, the bikes, the action pack sequences, even the sewers and yes, that next half of the film, mind blowing sequences that I can that's better than DBZ or any anime that involves earth shattering action. 

What gave me that thrilling experience, or really floored me was the second half of the film. I mean when Tetsuo realized his full potential, all hell breaks loose.. This is where inspiration came from the makers of Looper, Chronicle, Matrix or even DBZ, I mean a massive action sequence that until now, I place this one of the greatest. I never stops and I felt not only scared but enjoyed at the same time. Timeless classic. Of course, I'm still waiting if those bikes shown in this flick will be commercially made. I mean, that's the time I'll drive a motorcycle, especially that Kaneda's bike. 

This film also, as much it is animated, I can put this in any sci fi greats list. I mean with it's plot about we all have that kind of power, it's just a matter of waking it up or simply how we really want or need this power for the benefit of many.. And with it's future oriented setting, the visualization, only few films can do it with such detail and perfection. Name a few like Metropolis, or Blade Runner, or even 2001. Brazil is another one. So, this is indeed a timeless classic.

I wonder, after watching this flick, especially that second half, I don't know... Even with all the CGI or 3D effects we have now for cinema, I don't know how will you translate this to film. I mean, yeah it's possible but without that feeling it's CGI or special effects. That's why films like Looper, or Chronicle, like spill.com crew says, that's it. That's Akira! Don't need to really translate this film to another remake. It will be very very difficult. I'm thinking as well that last part where Tetsuo transforming into a big monster. I'm thinking that Watchmen Sequence, the last one when they transported that bomb to new york.. That's kinda the same effect.  So, for me, I don't know how they will pull this off. Cleanly executed and no ill effects. I don't care even DiCarpio still attached for this one or Warner still wants to do it. 

For me, the best decision is...

Just don't touch this magnificent anime film. Stay as it is. 

Oh, another great thing about this film, I think this is the only or one of the anime flicks that all the big anime studios, or even big Japan companies produced this film way back them. Meaning the manga is really good.

I think I should the manga by myself. I mean, those studios or companies won't invest into something not worth doing it right? 

Where can I find one? 

What if we do have that power? Hmmmmm I'll obliterate everything!!!! 

Kidding...

No comments: