Tuesday, July 30, 2013

classics: The Shining

One of the films that I thought it will be pure gore or thriller horror film, changed me. Changed my perspective of the horror genre. No one could do it like my favorite director, Stanley Kubrick! 

While transferring a lot of files, I mean a lot, I want to watch a film while doing this boring transfer. I just picked a random film, and I picked this. Despite watched the second half already before, meaning I did not start the film.. After watching the whole flick, I was still shocked, kinda chilled my nerves and  I slept right away! 

Great thing I did not get any please, sleepless nights. One thing that bothered me a bit or well, let's just forgive Kubrick for it was a scene involving those twins or sisters killed. I mean it shows blood or those twins but it's just flashes of it. I'm interested what really happened to that family who also done the same job and ended in a bad way, but well.. No trace of them. But that's fine, it added the complexity of this epic horror flick. Another thing, well that's the worst opening letters or graphics used in his films. I mean colored letters? Come on, with that great musical score and tracking shot in that opening credits, he can just simply used ah black and white opening. Not that one. But well, forgivable, forget it!

I watched the documentary of the making of this film, I was simply amazed how Kubrick really want a perfect shot every scene, even the simpliest of scenes. He's really a perfectionist. 

I love first, the screenplay for this film.. I don't know how much influence of the Stephen King's book used for this film but I thought it's a total adaptation, I am surprised that it was not. Great screenplay, dialogue which was fit for each character.  Even those scenes that only involve dialogue, I love it like how the chef talking to Danny. Or even the bartender talking to Jack.. How about that scene which Jack is frustrated while talking to Wendy for the progress of writing? That is kinda dramatic. A lot of emotions involved.  Of course, can you believe that the huff puff script which Jack said before smashing the door was adlib? That is sheer talent. 

Another thing, great actors, even those extras really fit their parts. Well, the film focuses on 3 main characters, Wendy the very simpliest of moms you see on screen and quite unlucky but loving wife as well. Danny, a weird kid with a crazy imaginary friend but loving kid. Jack, a hard working Dad but at the same time or we don't know, a psychotic dude who just got disturbed. I think late Heath patterned his joker role not only with Alex Delarge but I see more into Jack Torrance psychotic state. But anyhow, damn Jack this role indeed seems iconic for Jack Nicholson. Second best? Shelley Duvall  as Wendy, I really pity her character and she delivered it great. Sad thing at the first, you can just feel sorry for her but great thing, she's alive. Danny, wow, that kid is talented at any way, I can't believe he was 9 at that time or I don't know how old but wow.. I thought, the sixth sense kid done better, but gotta watch what this kid done in the film. All the characters done a marvelous job, like Dick and Lloyd, who well my guess is right, doctor Tyrell in Blade Runner. hehe

Great element in this film, music! Sound as well! I can't forget that scene that Jack was transforming into someone mad then the music gives you the chills then cuts out! Wow, I was kinda scared even there is no like ghost or gore or scary look.. Damn.. There were a lot of the same scenes. I love  that old scene in the bar, very cozy scene, with little use of music. The pulsating climax at the end, won't be that thrilling without the great score. I can't believe that Kubrick was inspired by David Lynch through Eraserhead.. I thought it's vice versa but oh well, it's still Kubrick has ears for great music and sound score.

Lastly, I've give the big chunk of credit to Stanley.. He not only made this film looked great as he was a photographer/cinematographer already, but also how he paced this film. How he generate an experience getting you involve in this madness, and left you out still thinking about the film. The spillage of blood, the tracking shots, the effects, and everything he did for this film simply not only worked but it fit perfectly. Which until now, I haven't seen a horror movie like this, there were some but that was still old school. Nothing yet in new school of film.  I hope Stanley was able to do more this kind of horror flick.

After watching this film, I kept on wondering.. I loved this film like other Kubrick's films, a lot of open questions running in your head with a lot of possible reasons or logic can happened or already happened. Like Jack's psycho alter ego might be existed since 1920's. Or we know the hotel is haunted but does it really affected Jack or even Danny. Does Tony, Danny's imaginary friend, a ghost in the hotel? Danny, have psycho powers but does he really have one? Did Jack really die? A lot of fun questions can be put in this film but unfortunately, we can all do is guess.

But for me, one question is answered for sure, the title has a meaning in the film. I hope I also have Shining.

Please not seeing the dead people. =)

Here's Johnny!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: