Sunday, July 21, 2013

Ring! Ring!

(side effects)

All things has an exchange or a price. Everything today has that kind of interaction. For an example, you buy an ice cream, it's either you bought it to get you cold or you love the flavor. How about buying an electronic load, in the cheapest price,  you can call or send a text but well it depends how much you bought for the load. It doesn't last long. 

That's the same in this industry, which indeed when you come in, you should pay the price or at least somewhat weird exchange. Before we get into like great things you can have or experience in this industry.. 

Let's go first into not so good things. 

First of all, Health! They always say, Health is wealth? Here in this industry, it is not only your wealth, this will be your foundation, this will be your meter if you can still work, and indeed, if you are ready to give your life into this!

I know, all kinds of work has some kind of health hazard. Normal to any kind of work. Even a bank teller when working for a very long time at the same position, eye vision will change out of counting money.. hehe But in this industry, what can I say.. Hmmmm Before I did work in a normal job going into this work but I never experienced those different side effects when I started working in this industry. Let's see what happened to me while working in this industry, in each health aspect...


Physically I can say I became tired even faster or let's say I've become more impatient sometimes. Although I'm still very patient at things but in this industry, for 5 years of taking calls, it put some stress in my throat and voice. I've never experienced having not only a hoarse voice but a pain in my throat so tight that I can't even eat properly, due to painful swallow. I experienced pharyngitis if got that spelling right twice. Never experienced that in my childhood years, or even in HS or college. hehe Meaning I put so much stress in my voice and throat. I don't want to let that happen to me again. My advice to regular agents, check up your ENT every 6 months. 

Yes, even your ears plays a important role.. Not only to avoid a markdown in active listening but also sometimes, I know I'm quite deaf but due maybe for the longest time I'm taking calls, being somewhat deaf moment happens. It's not only I'm spacing out, sometimes I did not hear what that person said at one point. I ask that person to repeat what he/she said like in a call.. Geez, great thing, nothing really happened to my ear for the longest time.

I still get markdown in active listening. Ears are important especially in this type of job, definitely at the point of listening to the customer and having a connection to the customer.

You don't have to worry about your nose in this job, unless you have allergies. hehe

In this industry, I knew somebody who gave up working here due to high stress, run out of voice, high blood or other health complications. It seems this is a very demanding job. But it doesn't mean stress is the only contributor for this sudden health change.

But it doesn't mean, you can't have a health living out of it. You can live healthy lifestyle, but it doesn't only need planning or scheduling, but sheer will as well. I tried especially in those night shift days, but well, it did not work out. The reason?

Second thing, culture and environment.. Every industry has its own culture or even in a small business like mine, my culture is always sell and happy at work. hehe I don't know if I was able to do that when I used to have a business before, but I use to remember I always do my best to have that kind of culture from my workers, or for myself, or even my suppliers, but also to my customers. Environment, it's quite a boring one due to the fact that there were a lot of time idle, no customers or waiting for a sale, you cannot make it fast unless you have high sales or extra cash to invest for the business..

Here at this industry the culture, is very diversed, meaning you'll work and meet not only a lot of people, but also work with them. There is old timers, near retirement age, or working with someone at your same age, or these days, youth, young as they just finished HS. You'll work with straight people, people from LGBT definitely, person who into old school kind of pace or work style, how about person working with new school techniques, performers who aim high, scoundrels at work, slackers and jokers. They are some who are quiet but taking calls in a great way..Or some who are really into this call center industry, very talkative and sociable. hehe You'll work with singles, hot single moms. hahahahaha Single dads, persons who pretending to be single but they are either in a relationship, engaged or worse, married. You'll work with the liberated, the religious, free wheelers, go getters, power trippers, power mongers, morons, maniacs, suckers and a lot more. So please, don't be culture shock because from agent up to Site Director, you'll meet a lot of these people. Well, don't forget peer pressure, you might not be drinking or smoking before. In this industry, you'll learn first hand with uptrainings. Culture here is mostly about numbers, or let's say performance based. I know all the companies are like that, but in this industry especially if you're working with a client, they have the first and last say whether you fit for the job or not. Firing at will is not suprising, especially these days. I don't why it became like that these days, but it's the signs of the times. That doesn't include the all kinds of customers you'll have to deal with from a very lovely customer up to the customer that you want to dig a grave for him/her because of stupidity, arrogance and all other bad attitude you can think of.. Don't forget you have a client/company that you represent, you need to deal with them as well.

Environment here, hmmmm the fastest I know is the stock market business environment because of the stock prices movement means a lot to the people who there. The second I know fastest is in this industry, it's like today you have a job, tomorrow, you'll be finding a new one, especially with the financial meltdown happened years back, well... Companies come and go.. Go away from one BPO company and going to the next or worse, we'll put ours here. Leaving a trail of unemployed agents. 

Of all those factors I discussed, it did not really affect me but for it affected a lot more to others who are working in this industry. Some bad effects I should say. First bad effect is peer pressure which well, I became somewhat alcoholic here.. hehe But I was able to stop that for now. Fooling around the job is another thing I learned. Especially when we're taking calls? Do you think we are kinda honest all the time? You got it wrong! You'll learn the tricks and trades how to get away from customers! hehe

When it comes to affairs or relationships, because of the somewhat liberated culture here, I'm quite relieved that I was not into trouble when it comes to that. Thanks to Him.. hehe But unfortunately, others seem follow what they feel of love. Despite their partners are not single anymore, worse, has a family.. Better yet before going into that kind of relationship, please know the person first. Well, there is one center that when this kind of illicit affair blown out of proportion, one was killed or I don't know maybe that agent is alive, was shot in the station. Sad but it's true. Or these days, HIV.. Well, it's not really a widespread but due to the liberation you feel in this industry, this one is alarming and it may become like big in the future.

There are a lot more bad effects with this fast paced culture and environment but the one which is very alarming is when it comes to business decisions.. These past years, there are a lot of cases that due to competitiveness or business costing, we need to pull out the LOB, Department, Team or worse, close the damn site. It's gruesome isn't? That's a norm in this industry especially for those 3rd party providers. Oops, I forgot, in house centers also quite doing the norm as the last resort. It's sad to hear but it's damn true. You can raise this as a complaint to DOLE, NLRC, or any gov't agency due to the trend but nothing will happen. As long you have a job in the same company but in a different LOB or a toxic department, no case to be heard. It's your choice, stay in hell or resign, find heaven in a different company. 

Ah I forgot, the fast paced environment is so quick, the things you know now.. Next months or worse due to updates, it's different anymore. Due to business changes, trainings or updates from the client itself or even the tools you use. You lost track of time and sometimes, dumbfounded due to new process or roles of your work, sometimes, they just add work to your shoulders. More stress!!

Another factor that it may affect you when working here.. Financial management. Of course, the best thing working in this industry is you're paid great, well above.. I'll discuss that later. But when working in this industry, you'll spend more as well. You need food, a lot food. If you think eating at lunch will be enough for the whole day's work.. Think again, eat more to make you awake for the rest of the shift. How about taking a cab going to work, worse going home as well because you're tired of walking and riding whatever going home. That's a lot of money need to spend.. Geez. Seriously, you will spend a lot, because of course, you earn big, you spend big.. You spend to things that you really don't need. I will be surprised that not anyone agent who used to have a credit card, maxed out and did not pay it. Or a worker who applied for a mobile phone postpaid plan who maxed out the plan, did not pay for some months and escaped. Bad debts, bad financial management. It happened to me and I know a lot of agents or workers had the same problem before. Now these days, it's hard to apply for a credit card when you're working in this industry or apply for a postpaid line which when they heard BPO or call center company, they outright deny you. But these days, I think postpaid applications now are quite easy but still weird. All expenses even drinking out and all liabilities or vices, excesses should be moderated. I wish I was able to handle it properly but it was too late. I hope you'll do that too. hehe

The last factor that I really hate or really affected me, social life. A big sacrifice. Of course, naturally, working at night espeically 9 hours straight, reversing your body clock is bad for your health, especially to pregnant women. That is bad as well in your relationships with your family, friends, and even other people that close to you. I missed a lot of gatherings, celebrations, occassions, going to church, or even dates! Simply because you can't file a leave due to manpower count by workforce or TL or OM declined request due to attendance qualifier crap or first come first serve basis.. Example, now is July, then agents apply already for leaves for October or November, if they got lucky, December! As long you plot in advance, it's fine.. Geez. Another thing, like the usual routine, you wish talking your family but can't. You're sleeping, they are awake. When you're awake and going to work, they are having a good night sleep. What also I hate, your friends just had a hang out, they told you that we wish you were here, we had a great time, that really pissed me of. It happened to me a lot of times, lost times with my family, friends.. Especially in those night shift years.


Before you work in this industry, think first with all these difficult conditions, are you ready to sacrifice and work through them? As for me, I can endure them all except for the fact that you will not able to spend more time to your family, friends or even persons close to you. Especially if your schedule is damn pathetic, the routine you'll do for the rest of the year or worse in your stay as a regular agent is eat, work, sleep.. But if you really need a change of scenary, earn big bucks and so forth.. Keep your eyes closed and work here..

In the short term, indeed it's worth to work here but if you want to have it long term, ah I suggest get promoted or find a regular shift high paying work or at least same pay you get but in a normal time. I feel that relationship with the people close to you is way important than working your butt's off in the very odd hours of the day. 

Don't worry, not all are bad working in a BPO/call center industry. There are fun, happy, great or let's say satisfying things you can enjoy working here. 

But for now, as long you haven't seen them yet, or know anything good or it's not yet showing here..

Question is, are you ready for this job? Right now!

No comments: