Sunday, January 13, 2013

Not Showing: BERSERK The Golden Arc II: Battle for Doldrey


I thought it will be 4 months, but unfortunately, it took me 7 months to get a glimpse of this magnificent part of the series. I just watched the movie with clear home copy with almost accurate subs, but damn before I watched it, I rewind a particular scene and see it all over again many times in a day. 

That scene, I know it's not accurate or did not really show in the TV series or Manga, but that I can say, made him my fave anime idol of all, always! =)

Anyway, yeah after that short Golden Arc 1, you'll go of course to part 2 which is Battle for Doldrey. It's longer and I can say better!

There were some not so good parts in the flick. Let's say as a fan of the series, of course, you will see a lot of misses. One, they missed a lot of characters which I know it's not really important but I believe they shouldn't remove it because it's integral to the story. Like Samson which he's not there, the queen b*tch and her cohorts who tried to kill Griffith, and some parts of the story as well, especially the first time that Guts and Caska really have feelings each other. Not there well, it will show at part 3 as trailer suggests.

And yes, as much I love how Guts killed General Boscogne, I missed that real reason why he was able to kill that General. It's not there. 

Meaning, those major flaws as much I missed them, really I felt they could have insert those parts or scenes in this flick. For me, they were important because it will show the wholeness of story, it will not only show Guts story but the whole band of hawk story. But for me, after all the action and grotesque scenes, I'm quite happy with the turnout. I accepted that they maybe don't have not only funds even it's produced by Warner Bros. Japan but also, time constraints and yeah, they want to see if this will earn so they will make more of the following arcs.

I hope the following once even they might omit again some characters or side stories, I hope they don't omit the major characters or even entities or maybe the violent scenes or situations. They can lessen the violent and controversial themes but not the whole dark fantasy concept. 

Cut the crap, let's go to what I'm saying earlier, why its magnificent? Better than the first one? 

One, the animation is more fluid, less choppy sequence which you will determine it's 3D or not. Detailed animation especially those fight scenes and warzone scenes. Even the story is fast paced, the animation is not rushed, although not really good looking because of the mixture of technique but its fun to watch!

Two, voice acting is superb, I mean from the original anime until this movie, never fails. I love the actor who voiced General Boscogne and Governor Gennon, you can sense that they are indeed the bad guys. Gennon is more out in this flick than in the anime. hehe Band of Hawk, King, Charlotte, and even the talkative Adon really shown some voice acting chops. Not bad. Even the script/dialogue, not really great but this one fit for this series. 

Three, Music! They emphasis like this is medieval period, some kind of old english period, so the music used in this one, fits with all the classical arrangement they used even to my fave scene, great!

Lastly, great, magnificent, fantastic action scenes that this flick simply put in one of my fave anime movies or any anime. I mean it made the TV series lame! Even I love the series, but this one, since this is a movie, a not constritive rating, hell with censorship.. Blood, gore, dark theme, and action simply in tune for this movie. This is where they did good of having adapting the material in the right way. That's why even they omit some events or characters, as long the major and important parts of the story still there, why would not like this flick? From the scene how Guts became century killer, I love the shot there where he was tired and in slow motion became enraged and sliced them all! Expect a lot of chopped, flying bodies!!! hehe The battle for Doldrey of course, I mean, in detail from the first attack of Midland, until the attack of Band of Hawk, it's really a complete package of war in medieval times especially with war tactics or art of war. 

Yes, my fave scene there is Guts vs. General Boscogne, before that it showed how really strong Boscogne is.. From there until he was killed, one glorious sequence! Everytime I remember that, damn I want to watch it again and again. hehe

Bonus one!!! Yeah, it doesn't mean when they omit a lot of characters, they really omit a lot.. I was suprised that there is a scene that shows hmmmm I think they will go all the way if they earn in this flicks. I was shocked that yeah, I'm hoping they do this all the way. Just don't make like the last one will be the 3rd. Damn!!!!!

Yes, the teaser trailer and I saw the whole trailer for Descent which I can say, all will agree, it will be sad, depressing, damned, bloody, scary and most of all, the time we were waiting for, the transformation of both Guts and Griffith. Especially our beloved hero Guts!

Then maybe a glimpse of the real Blackswordsman. Yeah! Ah another thing I was shocked at the trailer, there is one shot that even know I'm thinking, it didn't happen in the Manga or even in the series, although I researched they are really enemies but I don't recall they fought there! hehe Gotta find out. 

As batman trilogy closes, Warner Bros. Japan has its own trilogy, this one. Until now, gotta say they've done a wonderful job of recreating even in a fast pace and indeed a bloody one! I hope and pray that Descent, please.. Won't be the last!

Kudos yeah to Studio 4C, Warner Bros. Japan for well, they earned a lot from Kenshin live action, and I hope they did well here. 

As much I like the series of Rurouni Kenshin.. or even Himura (actually my fave is his master. hehe)

He can't defeat Guts, even Guts in his band of hawk form, or even a wounded Guts.. Not a chance if Guts in the great blackswordsman form with/without the berserker armor..

Any given day! =)

No comments: