Tuesday, February 18, 2014

classics: All About Lily Chou Chou

After that japan music film fest I did , well I put Hula Girls upfront beside this film.. After a long time thinking, I've decided that this film should be the best among those I watched in this film fest. 

The cause of sudden change of mind came when I compared the two flicks. Why became an instant classic as well? 

First of all, the only bad thing in this film was some scenes were quite confusing, and the shaky cam style in some parts. The bad japanese student Shusuke, he's really good student before but just he became bad due to happened to his family and that near death experience in Okinawa. The first parts shows his bad side then switches to some parts which he has a good side. Then the parts when Yuichi, the lead character, went with his friends to Okinawa, a lot of shaky cam scenes which I thought I got dizzy and frowned but to overcome these negative parts, just watch it again.

Anyway, first of all, despite that dizzy or weird editing, story is simple, Yuichi just living his senior HS life with his close friend Shusuke until after that freak accident in their trip to Okinawa, that changed Shusuke and became the ultimate bully not only to Yuichi but their whole classroom. Those were happening while listening or let's say they have an escape by listening to enigmatic Lily Chou Chou. The ending? You gotta see it. I don't want to really spoil after all the chaos that these kids done in the film.

Hula Girls, with it's superb plot and dramatic moments still has an edge over this film. But it doesn't mean this film was behind that much. If they only remove that editing style, and made like a simple smooth plot from Shusuke turning from good to bad then Yuichi's life being from simple to miserable, this film is way better in terms of plot and dramatic feel. The next parts made this film more memorable to me. Acting, I know Hula kinda done the hard one by having actresses need to train for the dancing skills then how it can help them getting them out from dangerous mining work.. This one, it just pure acting, especially at that bullying scenes which is so real! I mean it happens not only in their school, it may happened here at my school or I think each school! It was scary and heart wrenching. Especially the scene where one student ran into the pond and was told by Shusuke to get naked and ran across the field, that is kinda harsh. Geez.

Yoko, the character who got bald in the end, was also a surprise character. Silent, not that really care about the class but unfortunately did not escape the wrath of her classmates. Geez, especially that scene in the factory, very I hope it's not true in other schools. Lastly, of course Yuichi really kinda resembles like my years in HS, loser and got bullied but able to survive and got even with Shusuke. Shiori's character struck me the most, she is just I don't know what went to her head just be a slave of Shusuke of being a prostitute then got mad, then killed herself. The scenes where she was in, really struck me the most, especially that last scene of her. Yikes.. Don't forget the scenes that has the chatroom stuff and I thought that was kinda no value at all in the film, just another visual effect, but in the end, another surprise was there. 

Despite that weird editing, the cyber chat messages stuff, gotta give credit to the Director who despite this film has long running time, it never bored me plus I got that feeling of the thrill on what's going to happen to each character especially towards the end. Wow, this dude is damn good.

Lastly, Hula Girls has that good music, hawaiian music coupled with great hula dancing and hot Yu Aoi! Here at Lily Chou Chou, you'll see an innocent yet great acting of Yu Aoi at a tender age. Of course she done better in Hula because she's the lead character there. But in this film, if she was the lead character, this is her best film. But well, the story focuses to Yuichi. 

I almost forgot, the music of this film, simply astonishing. Yes, it is, especially get the OST, then watch this film.. A perfect fit with it's kinda suicidal theme then the songs used, wow.. Especially that end credits paired with Glide, such a great, classic ending credits. The OST is not only like OST, it's a great music album for rock fans. I recommend you to listen to it. Half the number there are japanese and the rest english or I forgot. They used so much of that Debussy song perfectly in the film. Salyu is like Bjork in japanese. No kidding, she's kinda great. I want to see her sing live. =) 

Only caution for this film, hmmm let no HS student especially those who are in crisis watch this film. This might make the student drive nuts. hehe Not kidding, but with the message it brings, I won't be surprised after watching it, it may depress you.

But thanks to the OST, that kinda changed. =)

Glide - Salyu

"I wanna be I wanna be I wanna be just like a melody 
just like a simple sound like in harmony 

I wanna be I wanna be I wanna be just like the sky 
just fly so far away to another place 

To be away from all, to be one of everything "

No comments: