Sunday, October 4, 2015

Not Showing: Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief

Ah I really miss this kind of documentaries.. What's more from Alex Gibney! Anyway, this so called Scientology, I'm quite curious about it. Well, I'm curious why Tom Cruise and John Travolta still have faith in this religion. Why there are some reports of abuses or threats coming from their side of things.. A lot of questions that need more answers. 

Anyway, the film called The Master, which I really did not like not because of the plot itself.. The actors performances were outstanding, but the film especially going through the end, it's like what the hell happened. That feeling, will rise and it will go through out while watching this film.. If you think it's complex, you will be surprised after watching this film. The film was inspired from this religion.
The only flaws I can see after watching this film, first was the response from the Church of Scientology itself or how about their famous members.. It's not Alex's team fault, maybe the church has reasons. Simply as that. Second was I hope, they shown at least other members or let's say offices around the world. Again it might be not Alex's fault, because this church has only 50,000 as of the ending credits.. I don't think somebody in our country is a member of this religion. Anyway, those are the only flaws. But they did not really affect the film.

I love the pace of the documentary, despite it's simple, it was very informative and detailed. From LRH rise, fall and became the head of this church, then his successor continue their doctrines, it's all explaiined in a most simplest manner. Despite, the weirdest sessions or audits that they call, their philosophies, rules and most of all, wow.. That after being clear and going up in their ladder, you'll discover more bizarre ideas or theories! I just can't believe it!!!

Another thing, I love the blow by blow account of the former members. Thanks to the very great editing, there were elements of surprise and euphoria of fun when they describe their experiences. Very notable sharer, Paul Haggis. Wow, I was like, really shocked that he was a member of this Church. 

The mixture of emotions shown in this film. I mean whether in my side or their side, there were genuine mixed emotions showing. Well balanced emotions shown such as what happiness they felt when they entered Church and experienced how powerful when they stayed. The difficult and harrowing experiences they felt, especially when they discovered how they were manipulated and abused. I felt sad especially at the part of their sharing, the time they felt ashamed or even depressed when they were uncover the truth behind of the operations or even the teachings of this Church.

Lastly, I was shocked at the part where Tom Cruise's part of this church was really immense. I mean I won't spoil about his story, it's just I hope Tom will open his eyes and heart about this religion or I mean, it's shouldn't be religion.. Geez. Anyway, I love Tom as an actor but he just needs to wake up. However, if I'm him, I don't need to work anymore, especially how he is treated here? Damn.. hehe
I was planning to just watch the first 15-30 mins of the film but I ended up, again finishing it straight! That's the magic of Alex Gibney's docs, you can't pause or stop for a moment because he always give one important info in every scene. I was so satisfied after watching this doc. I definitely recommend it and yeah, all I can say, just keep the faith you have!

By the way, give kudos to L Ron Hubbard, he just made a great theory not only how to avoid taxes or get rich but also how to..

Manipulate.


No comments: