Tuesday, September 13, 2011

classics: Apocalypse Now


It's the first time, I watched a movie in two separate parts. The first documentary was Fahrenheit 9/11, 2 cd's I mean 2 parts. For this one, it is like 2 cds, but what the heck, great quality indeed!

I am just trying to test this film in player and it runs smoothly and I watched it right away. A top notch classic..

Well, I was surprised that Francis Ford Coppola came to our country circa 1976 perhaps as imdb says and recruited vietnamese to shoot this magnificent. That's fine, I mean, nobody in our country would look like vietnamese except for the tribal parts of the film. That was Ifugao tribe and great shot.

Just few letdowns, even how great Marlon Brando is, but he is really out of shape, Coppola can get Redford, Pacino, or even Dennis Hopper himself for that role, which all of them physically fit. Marlon, nah.. That's why you cannot see his whole form in the movie.

Last letdown, there were parts that quite boring, especially when Capt. Willard had a stop over with a french family. Geez, I hope that was cut. The film can be shorter due to the plot itself, but that's fine, it's just for that small scene. Another thing, that performance of Marlon, is really, not worth 1 million bucks.. It's great but come on, his scenes, added up, did not even reach 30 mins.. That's $1 million for you, if its true according to imdb.com

Of course, the whole of it, great! Near perfect... Excellent film.. I watched a lot of war films, some of them boring, or some more action, less substance. This film, has great balance, great action, and great story.

I love the action scenes, like how they invaded one village and the commander still wants to surf even in that situation. Geez.. But he is quite lucky also.

The cinematography and setting, perfect, I was surprised it really took time and almost took toll to the director, meaning his life for this film. Scary..

The cinematography really great because it shows how detailed it was before, 60's, war and vietnam, the feel of the time. Of course, the setting is perfect as well, as the story goes on, it changes not physically or the stage itself but the feel of the movie. Yes, as long where Capt. Willard goes, you will be interested about it at each scene.

Editing, perfect, it's simple and detailed. Script? Although not literally perfect but it's like they're doing it for sometime, natural will be the best word for it. Like the role of Harrison Ford, he sounds like he's in charge. =)

Dialogues of Capt. Willard and his crew which they don't know that they are in deep sh*t mission, until each of them dies.. Ah Robert Duvall, wow, damn, cool sergeant. hehe Ah even, Dennis Hopper is great and of course, even overweight, Marlon Brando, even in a short presence, great part for him. Smooth yet deadly, however, he really wants to die I guess. Lawrence Fishburne is there, and very young! hehe

I know most of the war films are like just showing the horrors of war and effects of it, like Born in the fourth of July and others. For this one, half of it is about that, and half is about discovery and facing yourself of doing such dangerous mission. Geez, in the end, he chose to finish it, because of the rank! hehe That's human nature I believe..

As the pace goes on, from how Capt. Willard got off to the mission then joins the air support team, then off to terminate Col. Kurtz, the dialogues and script, just natural to them and you will be interested how things go in this movie, until the end. I love how Capt. Willard narrating the events, from this point to that point, especially when he faces, Kurtz.

Ah yes, this is, of all Martin Sheen movies, even it's not really oscar worthy due to some more dull scenes of him. This is my favorite. Maybe Charlie was inspired to be in platoon because of this film. =)

Overall, even this shouldn't be the first classic I write, but because it's the first time I watched this film, and I was excited after finishing it, definitely.. A classic film, one of the best and I'll cherish this film, watching it again sometime, not now. I need to watch more films. hehe

I wonder, why the film is titled Apocalypse Now? Hmmmmm

Great films has a weird title, perhaps take A Clockwork Orange.

I love the line, when Harrison Ford gave orders to Martin, he says, "Terminate with extreme prejudice". For short, kill the bastard. hehe

Ah yes, I am going to download the docu for this film. Yehey!!



No comments: