Saturday, June 23, 2012

Not Showing: BERSERK The Golden Arc I: The Egg of the King

At last, after 2 years since it was announced that they will remake my favorite anime.. I was ecstatic and eagerly waited until this time. Great thing that it will be in a movie format, and divided into 3 parts.. I thought, well, I don't think they will finish this magnificent piece in 3 parts?!

Anyway, is it worth the wait? Will the fans love it? Is worth seeing how they will show... The Blackswordsman.

4 months after it's release this year, well... I just finished watching it. Part 2 was shown since yesterday in Japan, I need to wait another 4 months for this. I watched without the subs, my player doesn't have any function to load the subs.

I don't care. =)

For the plot, check wiki. =) But what I can tell is this... As a fan of this manga, fave anime of sorts and now into a movie flick.. I can say, I'm very satisfied with it. Although Kuya Allan says it looks like a great video game cut scenes, well I still consider this a great anime film.. Nevertheless, it has some minor flaws, I consider this flick worth watching and damn, I'm eager to wait for the other 2 flicks.. I hope they will be more of it, depending how it will go in the Japan box office.

Some fans, might be underwelmed, especially with the flaws it has.. One minor flaw was yes, I thought at last they will make this one a straight adaptation from the great Manga.. But alas, it was not.. It was written in a different way, even it has the same depth of the manga and anime, but it's just they remove some important details to make it short.. Sad to say, it's only 75 minutes, or around 72 minutes. Geez..

Another flaw was yeah.. If you read the manga, as for me, the last time I read the manga was in Dell.. While taking calls and processing orders and disputes, I have a window standby to have the manga displayed. I was not even at the half of the story, but I was able to cover the real story that was adapted into anime 25 episodes TV version.. Damn, this one is short.. They just removed a lot of details, like the pasts of Guts, (they shown it but just a few seconds).. Even the pasts of all the members of the Band of Hawk.. They just make a straight up plot without the complex plot of the Manga.. The TV version also well, they make it simple, some editing styles from first episode and last one.. That's it. You'll definitely ask for more..

This one, no backtracks.. It started from that bear killer scene.. But those were minor flaws to me.. I still love the piece!

First was well, how it was written.. Since they are in the hurry and with that short time, they are good telling the first 11 episodes into an one hour movie. I don't how they pull it off but the plot, theme and depth of the story is quite same in the Manga and TV series. Kudos to those writers but I hope they will show a lot as these next movies will come up. About the dialogue I'm not sure.. The pace and plot did not really change so I think they did not have a hard time to make the dialogue work. Damn, I should really learn how to speak nihonggo.

Second! Damn.. If the TV series was made look like this, all fans will be damn happy and will keep the series forever. hehe Some anime websites did not like the combination of 2D and 3D input into the film.. Like Kuya says, it's like a long video game with great cut scenes. Maybe a great example is Metal Gear Solid. But for me, it helped a lot to appreciate the anime movie. It's at par with Ninja Scroll or Vampire Hunter D part 2. Great visuals, crappy story.. hehe But this one has great visuals, great story.. I love how the background shows in details, the 3D effects in the fight and war scenes.. I love the scene that they fought Zodd.. From the entry of the room until how he flew away, that's one hell of a piece. Of course, the shots, even the scale of it.. Fantastically done for the character design and animation!

Third... Gore and graphic details. Of course, it's not all the time that when you hit by the swords in the head, blood will just flow out.. Here, your head will loose.. Which is true.. =) That's what they take out from the manga and put in screen! Bodies flying anywhere, Zodd tearing the soldiers apart.. Guts cutting the soldier's heads off and even eyes of Bazuso were out.. So, it's great that they show that.. Realistic and it gives adrenaline to the viewer.. For action wise.

Four! Musique.. Not that great, but it does fit to the time and story of this movie.. Dark mood music, good choir or atmosphere sounds.. The entry song just fit to the movie.. OST just fit this movie. That's all I can say.. =) With it's dark theme and story, the music, simply fit in this one.. Sorry for the fit word. hehe

Five..Fifth is the depth of the story, the emotion entails to it, with great animation and pace.. The situations happened from start to finish, especially in the assassin scene, I felt sorry for that boy. I thought they will change it as well like the other scenes but this one, they make it more sorrow for that character. Geez, same in the manga, you will feel sorry for the kids that he killed. But everything, great! From start to finish, I can't wait for the other movies.

Lastly. Voice acting.Of course, you cannot see the real actors.. Or thinking they can translate this into real film, which I hope they won't! All the Band of Hawk members, even they are not the same voice talent from the TV series which was aired more than a decade.. This one has the same voice acting you have in a fresh way.. Griffith was more of a leader and yes, even with no flashbacks, you can sense his deceptiveness.. Caska still the rowdy but fearless lady commander.. Guts? Great dude.. Less words, but has meaning.. More action! I can't wait how he will be in the blackswordsman arc. Well, the only let down character in the film, Pippin.. He did not even utter a single word. Geez. hehe

For the part 2, I'm guessing and I hope it will cover the remaining half of the TV series.. Until the eclipse.. Then yes, last part will be the real story of BERSERK. Will they adapt the same plot in Manga? Or what will be their take anyway? Especially if or I hope they will show, when those "Church" entity comes in. But one thing is for sure, Skull Knight and Puck should really appear to answer questions left in the TV series. =)

I'm so happy to see this piece, I'll watch it again perhaps! hehe I love how the sword shines and the angles shown to it.. How Guts fight those bastards and how the 3 characters, will come together in a sad fate..

Ah I'm looking forward those scenes how Guts become century killer. Killed a hundred men.

I'm also expecting a graphic depiction of the eclipse, will it show with no boundaries or in a short scene?

We will see, how Guts and Caska really survived that ordeal...

We will see, the real Blackswordsman!

Ah yeah, it won't show it here.. Sorry, not for kids or teens as well, even how Naruto become that bloody fighting till death already.. That is for kids. Even the TV series, I dare any TV station here or cable Animax whatever.. To show the TV series, without cuts. hehe

Ah, quite sad, the 2 great songs in the TV series, were not included in the movie..

Tell Me Why..

Waiting so Long..

I'm waiting so long..
I'm waiting..

No comments: