Monday, March 18, 2013

Ring! Ring!


(Ortigas/Shaw/Mandaluyong)

Yes, it is quite near me. I mean from our house, 1 jeep going to MRT then MRT going to any of the stations, either Ortigas station, Shaw Blvd station or Boni Station. But after that, you need to walk long roads going to either work. Except for Shaw Blvd perhaps but well.. Any good at Shaw Blvd? I don't know. 

Another way going to Ortigas or Manda, G-Liner is another route from SM Centerpoint, just make sure you go down at Robinson's Gallerira. Another one is go to Quiapo, ride those FX shuttles then go down inside Ortigas, either ADB avenue or SM Megamall. But don't go there at night because it's quite dangerous. 

I really don't like the place. I mean, you will exert a lot of effort going there, especially if you the MRT way. Like I've done before, while working in HSBC which they don't have a center there anymore.. It felt tired already once I go down from the MRT station, looking ahead in discovery suites, having a long walk, passing thru a stoney parking lot at Podium then go to discovery suites, ride a elevator up to the 30th something floor then exhausted to take calls. That's what I felt and some days, I just don't want to work. hehe

How about the Boni Station? The cyberpark in Robinson's it's not even a walk in the park one. A lot of effort you need to exert. hehe Even there are some call centers/BPO that I can apply there, I did not attempt even once to apply there. It's just you need to have a lot effort going there. 

All I can say, if you want to work here. Just make sure, you really into brisk walking, every single day of work. You need to breathe and hope you won't be tired going there everyday. Especially if the place of work is inside Ortigas like Julia Vargas or Emerald or PSE.. I suggest take a cab. 


Let's go to Shaw, call centers are near there just across Starmall but yeah, a lot of walking. 

Sykes Asia - One of the pioneers of call center business here in the country. They have 2 sites at Shaw Blvd. One at One San Miguel blvd if I got it right, another one at that World Center across Starmall. I'm not sure if that One San Miguel site is still present but before I used to apply there. I have some acquiantances still working there, but a lot worked there and left. 

They've known before having a lot VL and SL then can be convertible to cash. But basic pay it's quite low before. Now, what I heard they will let you choose some kind of job offer package. One is low basic rate but a lot of premiums such as hazard pay, transpo allowance and other premiums. Another is high basic pay (17k tops but it's still low compared to other centers) but almost less to none bonuses or premiums.

Before they used to have Emerson, then a lot of centers in NCR due to acquisition of ICT but now, due to Emerson bolting out from them, then they also closed some centers like one here near at Hi Top and in Marikina, I'm not sure if there is one there.. They have few operating centers now. 

Accounts mostly US accounts, I don't know if that ad about a dayshift Australian account is true but definitely, they have a lot of US accounts. I'm not sure if Microsoft is still there, MCI I know still there, a financial account which I forgot what it is.. Ah a dental insurance in the US and others. 

All who left only has one common problem, a low pay with no really appraisal or increase yearly. But the benefits is good, maybe except for training which I'll tell later in a different site. There are worse experiences I heard but I'll tell it in a different site. hehe

For me, if you're a call center virgin, try it here but not in the long term. 

TP (Teleperfomance) - Well known call center thanks to their ads showing in Jeepneys and Classified Ads. They have one site situated Edsa Central, but they have a lot of sites situated not only in NCR but way down south provinces as well. 

If I heard it right, but I'm not sure if they have the account there, they have Telstra SME account. What's good about this center, I heard they pay good, better basic pay of sorts. But all who I've known worked and left there, they have one big problem which indeed a problem. Poor payroll system. 

Every payday, you'll experience problems which you will be demotivated, asking why will I work in a company which don't pay right everypay day. Geez, that's why I'm not surprised many leaving there, or many are going there to work or apply but also, many are leaving. 

I'm not sure which are the other accounts, but I'll make a research or make guesses in their different site. But I've known before, they have also local accounts and known for well.. Energy saving center, I mean using electric fans than have air conditioner while working. That is not good. hahaha

Emerson - One BPO company found at the Boni Station, Robinson's Cybergate. Specializes in utilities, equipment of sorts.. I thought they do have a high pay but it turns out not. It depends maybe which department you go through but what I heard, they hire engineers even not board passers so it's good thing for them.

I almost tried to apply there but when I heard the pay of sorts, nah.. 15k tops for an entry level work then going there, what an effort. 

Accenture - The desciption is quite long for this company. hehe But I'll just make an introduction for this one. Yeah, they have a site at Cybergate, and yes, a big BPO company with some call center accounts. They cater a lot or wide range of clients they have. 

However, in this site alone, famously, and I'm not sure if this happens until now. They have always a standby ambulance outside in that building. That's for them! One reason they have like that, and what I heard before, they have a very stressful account. So stressful one. Other facts about this company, well I'll tell it in the other site. 

TELUS - they have a site here at Ortigas, discovery suites. I'm very sure that site still stands there, as they have ads about a CSR position for a Australian Telco account, which I'm guessing Virgin or other telcos. 

SITEL - They had a site in Cybergate which it will be transferred to ETON cyberpod right across Robinson's Gallleria then they have another one which is at Ortigas, around Emerald or Julia Vargas, not sure. hehe I know they are near ADB avenue then you need to walk in some street. 

Famous for having a gaming account, I think that Star Wars, then they have Dow Jones journal, I'm not sure about it but they do have a business newspaper account. They have also a sales account, US account. I'm sorry if I was not able to memorize. hehe Financial account for Capital One if I'm correct..

Before they were Clientlogic which handles DHS Dell accounts but when they were buy out by Sitel, they became big.

Their screening process has a quite difficult interview but after that, it's smooth sailing. For me, I had a disappointing experience. I'll tell that later. I heard and I hope it's not true, that they still have a basic of 12k.. That's terrible, I mean with all the stress you're getting and these days, 12K is very small. 12K salary I experienced was way back epldt days! hehe

One great benefit they have which I know is their Maxicare benefits. You won't need to pay for your dependents as long they are qualified. It has reimbursement and it has around 150K limit for you know medical expenses and emergencies. Although not the best but they have that great benefit which others still stay there. 

TPG - An australian call center specifically for a Australian telco account under the same name which I know they offer big pay around 20k, but yeah.. It has outbound sales, CSR, tech support and worst of all, escalations. Escalations were made due to the fact that in Australia, if you ask to have your telephone service connected, wait for 10 business days. That made a customer asking for escalations especially after 10 business days, paying that connection fee, still customer doesn't have service. Geez.. I know why. hehe

Acquire - The call center situated well, near Sykes.. Dodo is one of their biggest clients, I'm not sure the other accounts they have such as directory or sales accounts. But Dodo, is like TPG in Australia. We can call them, small telco companies in Aussie. Well, they also offer around 17K-20K depends which department you are going to work to. I heard they have great schedule plotting it's like working in a normal job, but I'm not sure if they work on weekends. 

But one thing is for sure, Dodo is a difficult account like TPG. The reason is also the same.hehe

CVG (Convergys) - The biggest, or even the largest pure call center operations here in the country. One of their first and old sites is here at Ortigas. Until now, it's still running. 

They show great ads, commercials especially in print media like what you see in buses. You can see them always in Job Fair and malls.. They are like sari sari stores, they are just around the corner. They do have big sites, no joking.

They have the biggest in number ranging sites from NCR, Visayas and Mindanao and right now, they even have one in Nuvali.

I'm not sure which accounts they have in this site but definitely, here at CVG, all kinds of stressful and toxic accounts that you can think of are here. 


Maersk - It sounds like a pharmaceutical company but not.. It's the number 1 company in Norway, one of the big shipping companies around the world. If you see 12 wheeler trucks carrying Maersk shipping containers, that's them. In Ortigas, I sense that this is the biggest BPO/call center. I mean, it's an inhouse company and most of the people, tenured agents want to go there. It means, they have great salary package and benefits.

Their previous Xmas party, they have Up Dharma Down playing, so it just means they are big time! hehe

They have series of tests, online and paper based.. Yes, if you're applying for an accounting position, you will compute and they will test your skills for that! It was damn hard. 

I passed those tests but the sad thing was HR did not call me even they promised. They have a test which is time pressured, even it's like repeating questions and abstract questions, I don't know how I passed. hehe

I don't know really what's their weakness or problem in that company but what I can think of is their location. I hope their office is at Makati, or QC or different place, just not Ortigas. They are in the same building with Sitel, and they are around 30th floor in a quite old building. It's not easy to go to work with. But do I recommend you applying there? I don't know how stressful but my former team mate is already there and he's having a great time, so yeah, try to apply and work there.

Besides, Maersk really own this one. They handle international accounts, depending which timezone you're working with around the world. As much I want to work there, I imagine myself not working again in all around shifts, like nightshift, and maybe you'll work at weekends. I just want to work in their backoffice positions. Calls, nah.. Unless they have great package but if it's calls, forget it.

Fly by night centers - In Ortigas, it's the home of networking/MLM/scamming companies you can think of. It is! As much SEC is very near at that place, these obsurd companies still working, I don't know why. Maybe nobody is strong enough to file a complaint.

Yes, even in the BPO industry, there are some call centers which runs as long the client stays. If the client wants out, the center closes. That happens especially for outbound sales, hardcore selling call centers. Meaning they live by the day, no sales, no pay, they don't even care about the welfare of workers. 

Horror stories which well, I heard from former workers such as no breaks until you sell, no sitting, cursing TL's especially if you have no sale. OT's that are not paid until you make a sale or if you do make a sale, free jollibee lunch. Yes, a lunch from jollibee that pays you for a whole day. Great! hehe And the most glaring problem of all, the product/service you sell is a scam, and you'll do everything just to get a sale.

Yes, you'll do everything, even fraud just to make a sale and they approve it. There are also companies that are well, sell adult entertainment, I mean through Chat. Wow. That's outsourcing for you! hahaha

For inbound call centers, well.. Most glaring problem is the delay of your salary until you got tired of waiting and resign.

This not only happen for hardcore selling, or inbound cs, but also in other kinds of operations like research, upselling, forex or even collection. There is one building in Ortigas which I'm not sure if that's the name, but I remember it's Orient Square building, it houses a lot of this companies. 

Tips to avoid these companies, just search it first if they are running for a year, or most. They have a lot of clients they handle, or even if they are registered in SEC, BIR, and DTI. And yeah, for example if you're in the interview or in their office already, and it's look like it's bare, agents are not happy and talking about hitting targets or if you hear them getting punished all the time, then get out from there. Don't waste time and talent in this companies. 

Investor's standpoint, Ortigas is a good place to really have your office or call center. To invest into. Near at everything, best schools, MRT, SEC, PSE, great hospitals, a lot of malls from high street to the end market malls... Except for traffic, especially holiday season? Just don't go there. hehe 

Don't forget there are a lot of ways going there, even they don't allow jeep inside Ortigas. Night spots and clubs like in Metrowalk, include as well the ever famous Banchetto food market every weekend which they transferred already. hehe This place is fine but a dude like me living in QC, I just don't like it here. You need a lot of effort going to work, unless if its your dream job. 

For those who live near here? You're damn lucky. =)

I forgot, other centers are here such as Online english teaching for Koreans, Medical transcriptionist which pays a lot for what I heard, WEST contact in Cybergate which pays every biweekly but strict stats, Transcom in tiendesitas which I heard a so-so company but they are still there and in EDSA, RR Donnelly at the middle of Shaw and Boni station which it has 17K less tax pay tops. hehe Ah, Teletech as well, Brady for outbound sales, ah a lot more.. In numbers, they have a lot here including those scammers. hehe

Anyway, these set of places are good. However, it's just me who can't really stand working in this especially in the night shift ones, unless I have a big pay which will cover my Taxi expenses. hehe

But it's a good place to work, especially if you're near and has the time all day to walk and work in these places. I hope sometime, these places will be convenient to work with. 



No comments: