Monday, July 27, 2015

Not Showing: Hafu

I haven't watched a documentary for some time due to difficult changes and events happened to me. However, I doesn't mean I'll forget to watch one, what more watching of movies. I'm trying to make up for it and now, I accidentally watched this interesting documentary. 

Hafu is a word in japanese meaning the half/mixed raced individual living in Japan. The documentary has a simple premise, just recording the lives of these Hafu's living in Japan. They tell their stories, effects of being a hafu and their plead of staying in Japan as normal. The only opportunity I could say about this film, I hoped they interviewed a Japinoy! I suggested that notion because not only many Filipinos living in Japan but also very many Japinoys living there! I mean Fil-Japanese people already living there in the same way other Hafu's are living. Difficult yet happy.. Especially, statistics shows that I think it's in the top 5 list that Philippine with Japanese blood are included besides well, american and brazilian. I hope they include just one Japinoy profile. 

Anyway, what really surprised me in this film were the profiles they showed were striking foreigners but when they speak, it's like perfect japanese! I can't remove in my mind that these people are well, given the constitution right are Japanese. One great example, well that African dude. Sorry, I forgot their names! Forgive me. hehe 

The African guy who really like well, you thought a typical african male, speaks fluent and acts like Japanese! Wow.. He also admit that despite living in Japan for decades, he needs to explain himself everytime a person look up or asking to him. Then the other profiles came in, the Australian lady, then the Venezuelan guy who has little resemblance of being south american. A family of mixed heritage and having difficulties of raising a kid from public school, transferring to private school. Another one, that I thought she is Japanese, but well, she's Korean. A lot of different races and great stories to listen and watch.

I love in this movie that parts of them explaining the great difficulty of living in Japan because of their race. Of course, if you don't really look like Japanese, their Gaijin mantra will impose to that person, which is kinda bad. I was sad in that part of the kid's story of being bullied in elementary school because he can't speak Japanese well.. Not only that, he can't even make friends in that school. So, well the kid transferred to an international school and flourished. 

They were parts of their own story that made me sad, especially their confusion stages. As they were growing older, they thought of going back in their respective countries but because of preferences and love for Japan, it holds that idea of going back. They want to stay in Japan despite very not favorable treatment. This happens to the African guy despite already a japanese citizen, he's still well, having a hard time. How about that Venezuelan dude who should be already a citizen but still he needs to update his visa. Darn, the dude already married in Japan! Japan immigration laws are quite, or lets say very strict. 

I understand the Australian lady who really had a hard time living in Japan because it's the first time she went there and trying to fit in with the relatives of her Japanese side. However, since she lived more in Australia than in Japan, I felt for her that she's confused and might live in Australia for now than living in Japan. 

For the Korean lady, she's kinda lucky to be a Japanese citizen because of the secret of her mother. However, it some what gave her a backlash of the situation. Meaning her own identity was questioned and she felt not accepted for some years. But look at her now, she really fit in Japan.
Lastly, I loved how most of these people making an effort to help others with the same situation. They have a community helping other people who has the same dilemma and giving them great support. The African guy has a big dream that I can't believe he's doing it even he did not live long at his home country, putting up schools.. Simply yet very courageous.

After watching this film, well, that Gaijin mantra of the japanese people, althought it's still evident, I felt it's slowly decreasing. That discrimination or prejudice is still present, no doubt as I read in the news or blogs but it's slowly going away. I hope their government are doing concrete actions to ease their immigration laws, not their tourist/business visas. It should be immigrations laws! Another thing,  I can sense they are accepting Hafu in their society, look at their entertainment industy, I was surprised that there are idols, actress, models who are Japinoys. They look hot. hahaha Kidding but yeah, how about Rola? Geez, I was suprised she's Hafu. Or the most intriguing of all, their Miss Japan, despite opposition, looks like Rihanna. But when she speaks, I know why they are sending her in Miss Universe pageant, she's really Japanese. 

Well, with easing their immigration thing, it will also solve not really a one great solution, but definitely it will help their prevailing problem... Population. For the 14th straight year, they are decreasing or the birth rate is not enough to compensate the decreasing population. I know there are a lot of factors why this happen, but one concrete solution they can do, is to ease their immigration. Not really open immigration, still strict but they should ease some provisions. Also, please they should ease the citizenship of these people who have outright proof they are Japanese and still can't be a citizen. 

Anyway, if I'm one of them, hypothetically, I'll stay in Japan. Never going back. hahaha Kidding! I'll go back of course in my home country. 

But definitely, I'll stay in Japan. 

What will I look like if I'm mixed with Japanese blood?

No comments: