Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Cabin in the Woods

When I saw the trailer of this one, I knew it's going to suck.. Why? While I will waste some time to another slash horror flick, and the only star I know is Chris Hemsworth. Even it's directed by one of my favorite sci fi flicks, Cloverfield and produced and somewhat wrote for the film, Joss Whedon, I still have doubts.. Another thing, it was made since 2009 through MGM but it was shelved because of their financial problems. How about they even turned down converting this to 3D which I thought, they were right. No need to convert this to 3D.


Those were my first doubts. However, after checking online from spill.com, twitchfilm.net, rotten tomatoes, and every movie review and critic I passed through, all have the same reaction. A classic, original great horror film.. Damn, I gotta watch this film.. Sure enough..

After a fast 85 minutes of mayhem.. I was thrilled, almost the same of best films I watched this year. Cult classic even!!! hehe Like Chronicle, I was happy, thrilled, bit scared and great tsansing horror movie for a date. Bwahahahaha

Of course, the story and any plot about this film, it's better to keep it like other critics say.. 5 dudes and dudettes went to a cabin same in the Evil Dead series, have party and fun, sex yeah.. Getting all killed in a way they will be killed. Simple and that's it, watch it for your own good. =)

Some letdowns, but minor.. Damn, if it's a good movie, it has minor flaws. =)

First, I knew it has some cut scenes, well, I don't know if it's because of MTRCB or not actually Ayala Cinemas.. I know there are some cuts but it's not really long cuts.. Another, well.. The dialogues at the first 30 minutes, some were not fun, it was flat and some where very fun.. I think they wrote that intentionally.. Especially the first scenes when they arrived at the cabin, if you watch other horror films, I mean most of them, you knew they will say that.

And this film, not a minor flaw or really a letdown.. For those fans of horror films, this is for you. For those who are bored easily, I mean forget this film and if you have patience, just let the film come into you. Naks. hehe It's like watching Audition of Takashi Miike, one hour of boredom.. One hour of mayhem. hehe

Ok!!!!! Cut the crap, since this one is short, I'll make my points strong and short. =)


One, the actors, yeah I hate the blonde chick, but I like the actress, not know but she done here part. hehe The company dudes, yeah at first they are very boring but come on as the film goes along, they are just careless but great!! Done their great parts as well. The 2 dudes that I got sad, yes, Thor dude, just well smart big guy but he's thin in this film, done his part, feel sorry for that dude.. And the scholar dude, who is ripped up and that virgin chick has a crush on him, well.. Done his part so fast, I got that shock, geez it's like Kevin Bacon in Friday the 13th. Oops! hehe

The likeable characters, of course almost that just go through hell, the foolish dude and the virgin girl. If she's indeed virgin. hehe Damn, that dude is somewhat lucky and fearless.. That chick is very lovely and quite unlucky from the middle and the last but anyway, I love those characters!! It's just that, they really done their part.

You have a clue already, done their parts in the right honest way. hehe

There is a surprise star that I did not expect, wow, she done her part too.

Two, damn.. One reason that this film should have a follow up, was the monsters, and the gory effects too.. Let me say, for the fans, hmmm you wish how they got all of them, almost. hehe Some monsters or killers have copyrights or patents perhaps. hehe But for these monsters, damn, great scare, the make up as well, especially for those zombies. Zombies doesn't have patents, so yeah.. They are the great, they just won't die.

And the other monsters, geez.. I mean.. Well, I hope they are all there!!!!!!!! Another clue..

Lastly, great pacing, editing, and yes, writing.. Direction as well!!! Damn I hate the film is very short but well, it's an adventure film. I also thought it's a comedy film because of the laughs I got.. It's also a sci-fi film because of the main premise.. And yes, a horror film because of what's happening in the film. It's two films in one. hehe Damn.. A clue.. So, meaning I love how it was done and the part where when everything was seeming so fine, one thing happens and mayhem starts right away!!!!

All I ask for this film, yes.. More prequels.. Hahaha Clue..

It's a film you can play with your imagination at least you can think of two prequels of sorts.

Shock value, damn I thrown away those remakes recently with this one. Original, unique and scary.. Damn.. One character I was laughing at was maybe they can't get the rights of Pinhead. hehe

For this one, I can say, it's better than Chronicle because of the twists and turns of the film until you reach the final part, every bits of it.. Well planned, fast paced and lovely bloody hell!!!! Sorry for the Australians that it will go straight to DVD. This film, I mean, it's good to watch it in the cinema. Like good ol days without dvd players, or even VHS conversions or how about in your mobile. Geez.. I hope... It will show in my source already for my collection! hehe

Damn that Chronicle, I will make a post of it. Two films are the most underrated films of the year as of now, one is this, one is Chronicle.. Maybe it's economical to get one star then surround him/her unknown stars or all of them unknown to make a great film for mainstream. Budget film... Like the one they encountrered in the gas station, damn I was scared to that dude and I thought well.. He done his part. hehe

Another great factor, all what you thinking about this film.. As you see, all of them failed my assumptions.. Just forget it, just go and watch this film, just think of hack and slash film. That's it!!!

Beware going to a cabin, that's the moral value of the story. =)

No comments: