Sunday, May 27, 2012

classics: Blade Runner

One of the weird titles I encountered in a movie.. Well, most of the Sci-Fi flicks have weird title yet they have sense.. This one, it's just well.. Quite loose end.

However, after watching this especially the director's cut, I can say, I'm craving for more or if not, I'll watch this all over again. Great news that Ridley Scott and the original writer of this film are back to make a sensible sequel for this film, almost 30 years later.. I hope they are really into it.

Story, quite simple.. It looks complicated but it has really a simple story. Former blade runner Deckard, by the way blade runner refers as someone chasing replicants (androids in human form), former cop. He was task to do a job which he needs to hunt down 4 replicants as they escaped and wants to meet their maker.

Of course, as for the long chase, the leader Roy Batty met his maker, killed him and Deckard able to meet Roy for a final match.. Deckard met Rachel along the way, one of the recent replicants made by Tyrell corporation who has a new skill.. Memories.

Deckard and Rachel escaped as cops tried to apprehend Rachel due to this new skill.. That's it.. Sorry for the poor story telling. =)

Anyway, the only mishap for the film is... It's hard to think any faults of it, ah only one thing but not really a big deal or minor flaw.. It's very dark! Dark lightning, no scenes that was done in a day.. It has few but not in general, it was done in so much darkness maybe because time is not really on the side of Deckard and yes, Rachel.

Great things!!! One, Director and his magnificent crew! Ridley Scott, wow.. I mean I watched most of his films, he tried to persuade to different genre which I know it is good. But some of his films, just can't seem to work out. But when he goes to Sci-Fi, he's at par with Steven or George.. Damn.. That's why I can't wait for Prometheus.

For this one, perfectly done, the pace was great.. The overall tone is magnificent, that's why other films or even anime claims this film as a great blueprint of the future world. I mean, except for the flying cars or space stations in Mars.. But for this one, it's almost realistic and close to real world. You add that replicant element, why not? It maybe done in soonest time, especially us humans has an unquenching thirst for advancement in science..

I love how the set up he made, and the role he given to all the actors.. Even James Olmos which I want to have an assistant like him.. Reliable one. =)

Second, the special effects, when this was made, it's beyond the years. I know if you compare that to these times, it's crappy. But, well.. I love how it was shown at that movie, detailed effects like the gadget used to detect a replicant.. Then they flying cars and future set up of LA, all are just simply amazing display of futuristic world. How about, one of the beautiful characters I saw in movies.. Rachel! I love that 50's look in a future time setting.. Sigh....


Third, action and actors! Definitely, I know it has few action scenes but it's simple and really wanting to know more about it. I love the chase scenes and yes, the final meet by Roy and Deckard. Actors, simply.. Well, captivating!! This is my favorite Harrison Ford movie.. I thought it's Indiana Jones, but well.. I just saw the best of him here in this film.. Great acting, a role fit for him. Sean Young, yeah.. Great lady through Rachel.. Rutger Hauer!! Perfect role for him, one of the best villains in a film or scifi flick.. Edward James Olmos, I did not recognize him at this movie.. Even Dr. Tyrell, wow.. Great lines delivered by everybody in this film.. Deep and complicated.. That's why this film should really have a follow up, can be a prequel or sequel.. They made the first choice, and that will be sequel!!! How about Daryl Hannah and the other chick.. Geez, beautiful women as well..

I can't believe that Bubblegum crisis anime, they really came an idea to make an anime out of Blade Runner.. Especially Priss!!! =)

Fourth and last! Great film comes with great music! No songs for this film but really great OST, especially the first music at first and the one at the end and credits.. Great fit for the film and that's why I'm hearing that sound in ads or some TV shows or other films before.. Geez..

I hope for the sequel, they will do the same mood but with an interesting plot and yes, great stars to portray in this film.. Others are easy to fill, especially for Rachel.. But one character will be hard to fill in.. Deckard of course! Even Harrison doesn't want to involve again in this Blood Runner..

Why Harrison and Mel Gibson in Mad Max doesn't want to really recognize their roles? I mean, it's like everytime they interviewed about these films, they simply have a bad mouth about it or just somehow regret doing this film. Geez, without these films, they won't be famous as they are today.. They should at least proud of it, you know..

There are many lines I love in this film, here's one of them..

Deckard: Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, it's not my problem.

No comments: