Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Jupiter and beyond the Infinite

After one and half hours of watching nostalgic visuals, I am guessing, what will happen to that astronaut?

This is about the film 2001: A space odyssey. How I discovered this magnificent film? Way back some a decade ago perhaps, in Philippine TV, there was a channel called CTV 31. Because of that channel, I found E! channel, and some good ol movies. I saw the movies like seven samurai, hmmmm, rashomon which I didn't finish, Mad Max and yes, 2001, not the prince song. hehe

After watching that film at that time. Well, since I was only a kid, I thought of what was that, but it's great. Visuals, music, damn good, I asked, is that a new film?

As we got old and thank God for the internet, I discovered that it was made circa 1968! But it did not change my taste on that movie. It still gave me that feeling of a adventure, space and sci fi adventure. A journey to the mystery of space.

Now, I believe a month or 2 months ago, I got the film. There was a boring time at the shop and thought of well, watch it at my zune.. hehe Well, at first, let me say, that it was kinda boring, thanks to the music, it kept me going watching this movie, and of course the visuals.

First part was really a boring part, and it's part of the story. The second part gets you in the story. The astronaut father just says hi to his daughter and the end of that part, goner. hehe Unfortunately, I don't know what happen to that dude. Poor dad. Until now, I don't know if he is dead or what, but what I know that astronaut got some bad headache.

Third part, is the amazing part. I mean, this is your great sci fi part or a good sci fi film kicks in. I mean, no action sequences but it shows or what Stanley wants to show you. Space exploration at it's simple form. For him. hehe

Walking in space, travelling, then cool spaceships, which I don't know if that will be created in real time, and most of all, the self proclaimed accurate computer HAL9000.

As the story goes at that part, things kinda getting wrong there. The computer is getting nuts. hehe He lied then, starts killing the astronauts, until he was killed by Dave. Good job, but the madness doesn't end there.

Yes, the final part, which until now, I really don't understand it. Even I searched it in numerous websites, google or whatever, I think, I need to read the book. Well, Dave became old then reborn again. On the course of those scenes, it's like a maze, and daze. Great editing, and great pacing, even without dialogue. I was and still confused but in the end I realized, still a great experience. Not only a great movie.

So, comparing it when I watched it at CTV 31 and this age, of course, the latter is better. Thanks to torrent and zune. hehe

The movie, sends some messages, I am not good at it, but one thing is for sure, that we are not alone in this universe and it maybe, something greater than us already know that we humans are coming to them. Whoever or whatever they are, it's more powerful than us. That's the sci fi concept, the film 2001 showing to us.

Like I said, it's a great experience, not only a great movie. It's like a ride to outer space in the comfort of your seat. hehe I mean, you don't need to pay around $15 million dollars just to be a space tourist these days, for me 2001 it's just enough. Hehe Most of the sci fi movies gives you chills, thrills, good action, suspense but only some gives you to think. And this is one of them.

Scary but nah, it's kinda intellectual in the sense if that black monolith does really help or harm the human race. I can't tell..

Oh, the visuals are stunning, remember I thought it's a new film at that time I saw it when I was a kid. Especially the last part where Dave is transporting in a different dimension, I don't know how Stanley created that, easy..

Music? Damn, good and perfect for such movie. I mean every music score at that movie is perfect. Each scene has the perfect music on it. I can say my favorite one is the beginning. Actually, all of them, like the scene where we travel the space base, or even the last parts. The orchestra mood and classical music really fits in that movie and gives you a different light feeling watching the movie. Without that music, I don't think the movie will be a classic, or even good.

It will be a very very boring movie.

It's not a perfect movie, some little flaws, like yes, not much dialogue for a 2 hour movie. And the only movie I think I watched in my lifetime, that there was an intermission. Time to pee. Hehe I skipped that part.

So, I dreamed to be an astronaut or pilot wayback when I was a kid. Because of watching starwars or like this film. Travelling to space, very interesting. Even I don't really like science, specially physics, one aspect of science I really want to discover more is computer. hehe Ah I'm sorry, is beyond earth. Space.. What's in there? I don't believe that it's not only silent, but there is more than that.

More than black..

More than silence..

Or more than those glazing stars and planets..

Beyond that, lies, the infinite..

After watching the film, I don't care what happened to Dave. hehe

I just asked, what the hell happened at that movie? I should watch it again for answers!!!!

I tried, still asked that same question..

No comments: